Jul 20, 2008

I never thought a smartphone could be all a "connected" person would need

picture obtained from a gizmodo article

I've been living with a Smartphone ever since I joined Microsoft. On a personal and professional level, it's a fab device, small, charges quickly, great autonomy, best Contact Search I ever experienced...

As a professional, such a device should be able to hold all I need to do my work. It just stinks to use its super small keypad and screen. And this is where a laptop-looking smartphone terminal comes into play - the Redfly.
"... with a large screen and full keyboard with no OS, no CPU, and no storage that lets you use your smartphone like a laptop. REDFLY links to your smartphone via a USB cable or wireless Bluetooth connection... "

After reading a Dark Reading story about how this solution could simplify network security management with mobile devices, I reckon its value in its worst-case scenario - the now soooooo popular lost laptops:
  • once a mobile device gets lost, the device data encryption will keep data safe and ultimately, wipe out features based on repeated wrong passwords or remote command from a server, will keep data definitely clear of malevolent hands. Laptops have similar features too, but how much easier are these features to implement and manage?

499$USD is a high price... (more expensive than the ASUS eee PC 900) but its features balance this negative side: 8hrs autonomy, weighing 1kg, small as it is, allows to recharge the smartphone...

I loved the concept. Wishing to lower the amount of tech hardware needed to perform what I need/want to, this would one way to accomplish it without relying on pure low-tech brain memory and paper sheets to burn after every information write-down.

By the way, how can anyone lose a laptop? I know I have a bad memory, but I never even managed to lose my umbrella ever since I bought it 5 years ago. I do love my Terra cotta Knirps umbrella! Could love be the reason for this prowess? "Love thy laptop and ye shall not lose it"


n.-

0 comments: