Dec 26, 2007

splash splash in the indian ocean

Perth is behind us. Heydi (Hey-Dee and not Hi-Dee) and I met up and decided to travel together for a while. We're flying to Melbourne on the 3rd and we'll see how long until we split, she's staying longer in Oz than I am and has thus another agenda. We took off from Peth on monday, Christmas eve, to hitch-hike our way down south of Western Australia.

Our first stop was Bunbury. Nothing's really worth mentioning about this place except for Jen, the CSer that took us in for 3 days. Yes, we spent christmas with her and her family by the pool. We really did not have a choice, people here either have a pool, a spa (jacuzzi) or both.

In the beginning, telling people we'd be hitch-hiking put an expression of surprise and fear on their face, we were then warned that WA is not the best place. As always, that is quite a subjective piece of information and we ended up having no trouble at all. The first guy (big jeep), who showed up after we barely waited for 10mins, told us we were not on the best road for h-hiking. He dropped us further down the highway and it took us 5 mins to get those 2 cool guys (and a big jeep) who took us right to where we needed. Again, we can't really complain. Fact is, H a girl, which accelerates the process of finding a ride. Me and my 5-day beard, must be able to give assholes a second thought about giving us a ride. A match made in heaven:)

In one of these cars, Heydi and I were deciding about what to do next, Jen was cleaning the garden and we heard the beaches here were fab. We chose to be good people and show up sooner to help her with the cleaning. I think we deserved our little place for those 3 days, the place just outside their house where we were having the BBQ looked fab after our work.

So, after the h-hiking, the BBQ at christmas and nights by the pool, we're in Margaret River, which is a world renowned place for its wine. We're going on a winery tour tomorrow. After some tips, we know which companies to avoid. It looks like 80 aussie dollars will get us a tour through 3-4 wineries and a brewery with lunch included. I can't wait:)

The CSer we're staying at right now is 5* (he has a big jeep). He took us to the beach where he met up with some of his folks (and their kids) and we had a great time, all were really cool and relaxed. I got a special treat during our time there. While snorkling, I spotted a stingray! Just 2 meters away, I saw what I thought was "just" a big fish, it was in fact one of these beautiful flying creatures (one of the kind that killed Crocodile Hunter this year).

I might get my tan before flying over to the east coast after all. Not only did we have a sunny christmas, it was a BOILING one, something not seen in a looong time. I was twice at the beach today. On the first time, I could feel the roast effect of the 1PM sun, 40degrees, ouch!


Being the good boy that I (can be) am, I already contributed with some computer troubleshooting at our CSer's place. So tomorrow, after a day spent at the wineries, I'll enjoy a time in the spa... yes, he's got one!

One of the oddities I will bring back home (as dumb as it sounds) is a Stubby Holder. It's a neoprene cup for botttles and cans. Come on, how can they not have this in Portugal? It looks really... stupid... but it DOES keep the beer fresh longer:) and even avoids the can/bottle from sliding down your hand.

Our time here is getting short, H has got a bad cough and fever (she's recovering in the guest room while I compose this post) and we still want to hit down south to Walpole, Denmark and Pemberton for the karri tree forests (Valley of giants) and its Tree Top Walk. After all that, we're going back to Perth and get ready for a new year party.

cheers

n.-

P.S.: No pics, I am sorry... later on, ok?

1 comments:

Yoann Nesme said...

Looks like your "lonely" christmas was much better that it first sounded, huh? Happy new year, my friend.