Dec 19, 2007

G'day mate

And so starts the aussie adventure.
We landed 5 hours ago in Perth, after a 6-hour long flight from Brunei.

I confirm, Brunei is a very boring place and Malaysia is certainly worth the trip. People are always very friendly although they tend to say "OK" or "yes" to everything we ask about. We later do notice that they did not understand the question at all. No worries though.

Our last night in Brunei was particular. We stayed in the same (and only) Youth Hostel in Brunei, where I met Kaku, a japanese backpacker, Arnaud and Severine, a french couple, a german bloke and some bruneian kids. The night was spent with some heavy Poi and Juggling practice at the hostel entrance. All 4 of us, Kaku (learning Poi), Beck, Bron and I taking the whole area for ourselves. Portishead was the right music for the moment, a slow and moody beat influencing with some drama the improvised choreographies (my Behind-The-Back 3 beat weave is half through).
Aus is much drier and for the present being, cooler (as in cold) than Malaysia. They are optimistic and expect 38˚C for christmas day:D

Going through aussie customs was... fun. I was submitted to a small interview in order to make them understand what I am doing here. Illegal immigration is a problem, my actual visa is only valid for 3 months and I am not authorized to work. If I'd want to move in here (which may well happen), the sponsorship of a company might be required to obtain a bigger or permanent visa.
Other than that, they did not like our juggling balls. After opening a stitch of one of them and seeing that they are filled with seeds, these got confiscated. Now the funny side is, my swiss army knife was in my hand luggage and they just ignored it. They are seriously more worried about pests brought in by travellers than about people trying to hijack a plane with a McGyver knife.

Tomorrow's a big day, I want to meet up with another traveller and see if we can establish a travel plan to ride together. I hate traveling alone (even if backpacking involves meeting heaps of people along the way).

Still, pics are for later...

Cheers mate,

n.-

0 comments: