Sep 29, 2008

Rage against the Machine (reloaded)


I would like to express my deepest, lowest and most degraded feelings about a real ball breaker I have to put up with while dealing with computers!

Once in a while my Vista just BSOD's due to a display driver issue.

First...

Why the Fu** does my OS have to crash "just" because a device driver is crap? Is it really not possible to recover without ending in a real show-stopper? I reckon the drivers are handled at a really low level in the system, but to depend on a display device for stability is utter nonsense.

Second...
Why does ATI have to make such crap drivers? When decent ones come out, their distribution is handed over to the computer hardware company, in this case HP.

Third...
Why does HP take so f'in long to put out DECENT drivers that ATI just released?

There is no good solution, only an acceptable workaround - to install the latest ATI drivers using the Mobility Modder utility.

Here's the story:
  1. ATI has new drivers that are not "made for" my display device (remember, HP should be handing them out)
  2. HP is VERY SLOW at releasing them through their Support site
  3. along comes Mobility Modder which modifies the ATI Installation program and allows it to detect the laptop display device
  4. the new driver is installed BUT... it's not the best one, I reckon it is not performance optimized, my laptop's fan does not stop blowing ever
  5. it does not CRASH anymore though

In the end, reliability outweighed battery performance and computer noise.

It's a shame and a disgrace that THIS is the situation that MANY people have to go through. No wonder Vista has so many problems and such a bad reputation - the OS is much better than how it is publicly known.


n.-


0 comments: