Mar 11, 2008

lazyness is not just a word

... and I should know, I've been affected by it for a couple of weeks now - the date of my last post is a good witness.

I felt that an update would be a good way to refresh my thoughts and put the stories up-to-date.

First, I resumed couchsurfing two weeks after my return and could not have had a better start. The week began with a super sweet little modern dancer corean girl, Yong, and was complemented with four portuguese Erasmus students (Gil, Luis, Daniela and Tiago) currently living in Dresden. As good nationals as we, Portuguese, can be, they share a little game they learned with Germans back at their foster home. It involves vodka and flavoured drinks powder.


The hosting continued the following week with an american couple (50% colombian... such a coffee blend would really suck but as people, they were F'IN GREAT) then another columbian/german one and then my friend Amy from London.

All of this culminated with my new CS status of "City Ambassador" for Munich:) I am at this moment the only local city ambassador. There is also a global one living here too, Brie. As an Amb, my responsibilities are increased, the main points are: I should represent the living CS spirit, organize events to bring people together, keep no-one out and help out members, mainly new ones.

It was quite a coincidence to finally get a reply to my Amb application just after my first organized CS trip. Amy, who's staying with me, chose to stay longer and I thought of heading down to the Neuschwanstein castle, the famous Disney/Cinderela castle. It was one of the multiple fantasy castles imagined by Ludwig II, the crazy Kaiser, and also one of whose construction was never concluded. After his accidental death (lead poisoning?), the castle was almost immediately made available for paid visits. The art lover and crazy Kaiser managed to bring down the bavarian finances and this was one way to get some cash back.
So, after a quick notification to local CSers, we got together and made a group of six travelers traveling down by train on a glorious sunny monday morning. If there is such thing as a blessed weather, we experienced it. We were back by 20h completely nackered from the 2hr train rides and the hiking in the little towns.


After two years of living in Munich, I had soooo many guests traveling to that castle because it is on every single frickin' Munich tourist guide. It took me so long to go there myself because I always try to avoid touristy spots but this time I tried to avoid staying ignorant. It's all-in-all a good trip if done with several people, with good weather conditions, good hiking gear and an early train. Having a car would allow to drive to other castles (good for castle freaks, hey!).

So thanks to Amy, Travis, Bron, Dave and Charli for a REALLY great day.

Note worth mentioning: out of six people, we were one portuguese, one american, one english and three Aussies:D

On our arrival in Munich, Travis told us a ridiculous story about the "platform ticket" at the train station. People would need one if they want to wait
on the platform. My first thought: "Riiiight... sure..." ... but it is true (or I would not write about it) but applied to a specific situation.

20 cent/hour is the price to pay for this precious (my precious... my precious...) item. I will definitely include it in my own Munich Tour information. 20 cent for a piece of ridiculousness is just a bargain! In fact, this ticket is NOT for the train platform, but for the S- and U-Bahn platforms (suburban and subway). So waiting on the platform without a ticket is in theory NOT viable. Munich is not the only place where the Bahnsteigsperre is in vigor though.

More hosting to come and more trips/events to attend, organize or help with.
St. Patrick's day is close and it will be as always celebrated with a parade next Sunday, 16th of March. Now there's a good opportunity to take the dust out of my analog camera and shoot some B&W pics. Shout if you're around and let's have a nice Guinness (or Kilkenny if you prefer)!


live long and prosper

n.-

PS: on the lazy side of things... no, I did not yet write up about my aussie trip although I have some drafts in my head

0 comments: