Mar 24, 2008

Hugs, what is that?

[ just for starters, a cool LifeHacker article on XBMC 2. ]

This last Saturday, the 22nd of March was the international
Free Hugs campaigns day. No need to go into further details if everything is under that link, suffice to know that it's about giving hugs to people on the street.


24 MILLION views of this video can't be wrong:






The local CSers set to meet last saturday at Marienplatz, the busiest square in town, at 13 o'clock, each one bringing his self made sign. Oddly enough, there was a peace-related demonstration on the same square, actually, it was a protest against the german army's presence in the middle-east countries.

I took on leaving the place as I did NOT want to be mistaken for them - not that I am against it, but giving hugs away had no political meaning, just a social one.

All kinds of looks are given when you hold a huge sign in the middle of a busy street crossing or while slowly walking down the street. Some people walked past with a smile and a shy look, others would take pictures from a safe distance - which means that I will be on so many people's photo gallery to be shown to their friends, family and pets...

The start is just like the on the video, I just stood there holding the sign, slowly turning myself to people and searching for an eye contact. It took a little while but eventually, after 5-10 minutes, the first signs of human acceptance were displayed. From that moment on, I was sure the afternoon was bound to be great.

I repeatedly heard people saying/whispering "free hugs...", "free hugs?" or "free hugs, hihihi...". Many would just see me look at them, turn their head forward and pass by me with a smile. Some germans would complain why I was using a german sign, to which I responded that as long as they asked, I would explain what it means, "Gratis Umarmung".

There was an explanation to the lack of a germanic translation on my sign, 8 letters took me 2-3 hours to draw, while its counterpart would take me some 3-4 and it was already 23h when I finished the first side. I will work on one for the next time.

It is quite a social experiment. I am not selling anything or publicizing a religion but I am walking down the streets with a huge sign. Some people knew about the campaign, other were very interested in knowing why I was doing it, many would just establish visual contact and come to me for a hug!

It can sound very silly... actually, it doesn't at all! Hugs are f'in great and I wish I gave/got more all the time and by that I mean DECENT and heartfelt hugs. I certainly felt very uplifted by the whole experience, in the end, it is a give and take action.

UPDATE #1 START
1 hour after posting this, I decided to remove a bad ranting about the experience in the shopping area (which isn't even that posh). I guess that a hug isn't anything anybody needs there. Shopping makes people happy... so they say... This was where mostly only tourists were open to hugs.
UPDATE #1 END

It feels so good

A living proof of the good a gesture as simple as a hug can make someone's day. Meet Annika, a very nice girl from not too far away who is about to end her time in Munich and move to Dresden.

After sharing a hug with me, she accepted to hang out and participate! She admitted to have had such a shitty day and that hug was just what she needed.

She would definitely take part in another Free Hugs day, I just don't know when that will happen but I will be sure to remind her to join!



The salvation
Again, a group of people offered me salvation through Jesus. It's the 4th time since I live here that I am approached, just as if I look as I need to be saved (which I actually do). It usually happens without me bearing any kind of sign though:P

Machismo
It was funny how some men would NOT hug me. They were either from Spain or Italy, very macho of them indeed. I am sure their masculinity is still intact by avoiding that very compromising front contact with another man:) Dedicated to them, there is a very helpful video - How to give the perfect man hug.

Age matters?
A statistical fact: if I separate the people in the streets into 3 age groups, young, grown and old, I would say that the young and old were MUCH more open to hugging then the grown.


Hugs are easy, free, warm, human and great.
I would ask you to give me a hug the next time you see me!

a hug

n.-

1 comments:

Paulo Carrasco said...

Hey!

A big manly hug from Portugal! :D

The sign fits you perfectly! I always knew you could do it! :D