Feb 4, 2008

The Sydney Experience

It is a limited one but still very positive.

I feel as if the whole scenario here has been a progressive return to my previous life, a fade-out of the travel mode into the "back to a cold and rainy winter" one. It's not that bad, really.

Slowly, while walking in the rain, over the Sydney Harbour Bridge, I realized how good it had been so far and the weather is just part of it, being neither bad or good (it's honestly shit, but I'm trying to be poetical, ok!).

It wasn't easy to get out of Bonnie's place today. I had no motivation whatsoever to put on my crappy thin and leaking rain jacket and get driping wet on my way into town.















My first 3 nights in Sydney were spent with Martin, an austrian guy living on Bondi Beach for 10 years already. I was his first real CSer (being the inagural guest is becoming a habit) and we got along pretty well.

Not only did we thrive on each other's music collection, we also had great Guitar Hero III jamming moments!

It's stupid, but it really made me wish I knew how to play a music instrument. One year ago, I bothered Hazel if she would teach me the piano, if I'd get one first of course... but then I never bought any! CSers and other things got in the way, adding a new occupation to my schedule would make me have to sacrifice another one. But the fact is, I also spent heaps of time playing Counterstrike CS until late at night:P or stupidly browsing the internet for videos and pretty much useless shit. I just had a call with Judd, another reminder that if I'd knew how to play, I could learn with him, he's absolutely great with one!

Martin had a guitar and that reminded me of the time my dad bought me one. I then traded that for an electrical one, worked a summer to buy a nice Marshall amp and ended up selling it all without making any progress. I guess I wasn't ready or motivated. I needed an external influence that would pull me because I was not able to do it by myself. Now, more than just a caprice, I will seriously consider it! A guitar is always something to take with while traveling and then learning/teaching with other people, just like I do with my poi.

Again, while walking on the bridge in the direction of its SE pylon, on the right was the Sydney Opera House. I do have clearer daylight pictures of it, but this one has a special meaning to me. It represents the moment I just thought "I am here, in Sydney".





Not that this city has any particular meaning to me, it's more the moment, the combination of this moody weather, a lone walk, the realisation that I flew to the other side of the world and finally the opera to represent the flag to symbolize the whole adventure.



While here, CS was again a good thing, Mike, the city embassador I had previously met in Munich, incentivated a meet-up.

I don't like to stay more than 3 days at a place, visits are like fish, they smell after that time. So I was REALLY happy to get a positive reply of Bonnie who lives with Eliza and Thomas. They're a good mix of good vibes, chilled out and young folks. Being very new at this (CS), they are still adjusting and doing their best to cope with the wave of people staying here before me. Two of them have this fantastic project, to drive around the world in a solar-powered car. Another guy is Ryota, a japanese traveller improving his english. I just wrote him some essential words on a mirror for him to practice his french (not english?) too:)

It's 9PM, I'm about to reach the end of this post, Bonnie is right now next to me sorting some papers out, we're in the living room (also her room) and if I step out the window, I can walk on this suspended roof with this view.


There are things that really look amazing and totally different from what you could have been experiencing so far but it doesn't mean you'd do it. Bonnie told me about this ConFest, the most awkward festival I ever heard of but very hippie and free-minded. I am not material for this kind of events but I liked the concept. People get together at a specific place in the bushes surrounded by water, take their tents and build an ephemeral town. There is no effective music stage for bands to play, basicly anybody does his thing, plays music, paints and all converse, comunicate and live in that little environment for a week. For anyone interested, it's in March:)

Enough for now. I am flying to London tomorrow and will land around 6AM on Wednesday. I will reach Munich by the 15th and get back to mi casa, where a broken washing machine awaits my care:) (and my cash:( ).

n.-

PS: I sent a postcard to myself, let's see who gets there first. I reckon the postcard has very good odds!


0 comments: