Aug 27, 2007

Be creative or not...

I need something (or somebody) to bring me back to drawing/painting. I've been severing from a chronical lazyness!
I can't remember the last time I sketched something interesting:(
My last brightest moments were achieved on my boss' TabletPC and the Sketchbook Pro license I bought from eBay for 50% of the retail price. I used to carry the 3kg heavy laptop with me in the train back and forth from home to the office and would eventually open it and use the 20mins ride to sketch something. But then again, those were sketches and no real drawings.

I love concept design and there are some amazing online references out there. My favorite one, displaying Work-In-Progress and Finished art is Sijun. Another good place to spot what "famous" artists are doing around the world is ConceptArt.Org.
Some of (almost all) those artists have their own site and some of them have some tuition videos, being the most famous (and probably the best) ones those from Gnomon School of Visual Effects (located in Hollywood) and their Workshop department.
They have the most amazing DVDs, Scott Robertson and Feng Zhu are among my favourite teaching artists.


Hazel has some references to some Graphic Competitions and one looked particularly interesting:


... a bit too short-termed I guess for the speed I have been doing things:P

I also have some in-job graphical challenges, I am on the process of creating a logo for a joint-team, the result from joining ours and another team. Fact is, ours has a logo and the other needs one.
It's funny, I do not consider myself that creative and still I am along with another fellow the most creative from the team. So much for creativity amongst ITs:)

The challenge here is also to use the tools made available, namely Microsoft's Expression Suite. In this case, only using Expression Design. There are some very sweet features in it!

(UPDATE) I need to get some new T-shirts:

yours truly (... not creative)


0 comments: